The Fu Foundation School of Engineering and Applied Science
Department of Mechanical Engineering
External Advisory Board (EAB)
(Adopted February 28, 2007)
Advisory Board Mission Statement
To provide advice and counsel to the Department and to act as spokespersons for the Department in matters important to the well being and future of the Department. To help achieve strategic goals; to advise industrial and societal needs and trends; to assist departmental development; to help recruitment of high quality faculty and undergraduate/graduate students; and to help reach out to a larger group of ME alumni.
Advisory Board Principles:
- ME Department Chair will provide overall leadership guidance to the Board.
- Members’ roles and responsibilities are advisory.
- Members should
< >have a high interest in the ME Department success
be participative and interactive
express a willingness to contribute skills and influence
- maintain communication among members and with the Department Chair
- seek faculty and staff involvement
maintain awareness of the academic, social, and career needs of students.
Advisory Board Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the ME Department Chair, faculty, and staff in the achievement of strategic goals.
- Become an active and positive external spokesperson for the Department.
- Provide advice and counsel to the Department, as requested, regarding industry’s and other constituents’ needs and trends.
- Provide a skilled resource to the Department for special studies or tasks.
- Promote a high quality and effective relationship between faculty, students, staff, and the EAB.
- Recruit additional Board members.
Advisory Board Academic Leadership:
- ME Department Chair.
Advisory Board Leadership, Membership and Charter:
Advisory Board Chair.< >Nominated by the ME Department Chair
Elected by the EAB (majority vote)
One-year term, two consecutive terms maximum.
Nominated by the ME Department Chair and Advisory Board Chair
Elected by the Advisory Board (majority vote)
Three-year term, two consecutive terms maximum. For the inaugurating board, some members' term could be two-years for board continuity.
Advisory Board Meeting Process:
- Yearly meetings
< >Autumn on campus
Spring by teleconference if necessary
Ad hoc special meetings, if required, at the discretion of ME Department Chair and EAB Chair.
Agenda is the responsibility of Department Chair and EAB Chair with input from the full Board.
Partial terms will not count in total terms served.
Honorary Board members must have served a minimum of three years of active membership.
Adoption requires 2/3 Board majority vote including ME Department Chair affirmative vote.